CCSF classifies each student as either a resident or a nonresident for purposes of tuition and fees. A student must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident, or possess an immigration status that allows for the establishing of permanent residence in the U.S. Students who can't establish CA residency for tuition purposes may qualify under Assembly Bill 540 (AB540) non-resident exemption and other non-resident exceptions. Please see below for additional information about exemptions/exceptions.

A CCSF student who can't establish California residency and do not qualify for non-resident exemptions/exceptions as of the day immediately preceding the first day of the semester are determined to have non-resident status. Such students are required to pay the non-resident tuition fees.

Please note: There is no deadline to request a reclassification of residency or to apply for exemptions/exceptions of nonresident tuition, please contact our Residency Team for form(s) and instructions. 

Establishing CA Residency

To establish CA residency for tuition purpose, you must live in California continuously for at least 366 days prior to the petition semester's first day of school to qualify. To petition for reclassification as a CA resident, you must provide clear and convincing evidence that you have satisfied all the following conditions:

  • Immigration status
  • Intent
  • Physical presence
  • Financial independence for students under 24 years of age
California Residency Requirement Criteria

Student and, in some cases, your parents must have the legal ability to establish permanent residence in CA. Student who are in process of status adjustment can establish residency as long as that new pending status allows you to establish residency and the receipt date must show one year before the determination date to qualify for that semester. 

The following documents are examples that we use to verify your immigration status include, but are not limited to:

  • I-589 asylum/refugee receipt
  • I-797 Notice of Action letter from USCIS
  • U.S. Employment of Authorization Card
  • U.S. Permanent Residence Card
  • U.S. Naturalization Certificate
  • U.S. Passport
  • U.S. Passport ID
  • Copy of visa status
  • I-94 entry/exit form
  • Immigration court document
Status Description
A-1, A-2, A-3 Foreign Government Officials
E-1, E-2, E-2C, E-3 Treaty Traders and Treaty investors
G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4, G-5 Representatives to International Organizations
H1B, H1C, H4 (spouse or child of H-1B or H-1C) Temporary Workers and their dependents
I Foreign Media Representatives
K-1, K-2, K-3, K-4 Fiancé(e)s and Spouses of U.S. citizen
L-1A, L-2 Intracompany Transferees
NATO 1-7 North Atlantic Treaty Organization representatives
N-8, N-9 Certain parents and children of section 101(a)(27)(I)
O-1, O-3 (spouse or child of O-1) Workers with Extraordinary Abilities
R-1, R-2 Religious Workers
Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) I-360 petition
T-1, T-2, T-3, T-4, T-5, T-6 Alien Victims of Human Trafficking
U-1, U-2, U-3, U-4, U-5 Alien Victims of Certain Crimes
V-1, V-2, V-3 Certain Second Preference Beneficiaries
IV Immigrant visas


Other Status Eligible to Establish Residency

Status Description
Pending immigration status
  • I-485 (permanent residence), asylum, refugee status,
  • Family Unity Program, Temporary Protected Status (TPS),
  • VAWA self-petition (available for battered spouses or
  • children of U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents),
  • LIFE Act (LIFE Legalization), and LIFE Act Family Unit Provisions,
  • "withholding of removal"
Approved DACA  
Status Description
B-1, B-2 Visitor for business or pleasure
C-1 to C-4 Alien in transit
D-1, D-2 Alien crew member
F-1, F-2, F-3 International students and dependents
H-1B1 Temporary Worker for citizens of Singapore and Chile
H-2A, H-2B, H-3, H-4 Temporary Workers/Alien trainee-their dependents
J-1, J-2 Exchange visitor, spouse and children
M-1, M-2, M-3 Nonacademic or vocational student, dependents
O-2 O-1 assistant, not related
P-1, P-2, P-3, P-4 Athlete, entertainer, artist, their dependents
Q-1 to Q-3 International cultural exchange program
S-5, S-6, S-7 Informant of criminal organization
TN/TD Business professionals citizens of Canada & Mexico
TWOV Transit Without Visa (passenger/crew)
"Order of Supervision" aliens Aliens are released from custody
BCC Border crossing cards
BE agreement entrants Bering Straits
VWP Visa Waiver Program for WB & WT
  Unlawful immigrants or out-of-status alien (overstayed visas)

Intent to make California your home for other than a temporary purpose may be demonstrated in several ways. The following documents are acceptable forms of intent. Documents must have the students name, CA address, and must not be older than two years:

  • Current California driver’s license or Department of Motor Vehicles documentation of California driver’s license. – CA state law requires a resident driver to obtain a California driver’s license within 10 days from the date residence is established.
  • California Identification Card.
  • California Motor Vehicle registration – California Registration Certificate.
  • Federal and State tax records consistent with CA domicile - forms 1040 and 540 or 540NR (note, any 540NR form submitted must show part year CA resident and the date residency in CA began). 540NR tax returns showing domicile in another state will not be accepted as evidence of intent.
  • Benefits or public assistance from the state of CA - EDD, CalFresh, Covered CA or Medi-Cal, Cash Aid program, etc.
  • Verification of California Voter Registration-Voter Registration Card.
  • Documentation of purchase and occupancy of residential real estate in California – loan papers, tax receipts, escrow paper.
  • Maintaining permanent military address or home of record in California while in armed forces – DD214 and DD2058.
  • Petition for a divorce in California – legal document.
  • Official license from .

The following documents may be used to clearly demonstrate physical presence in California:

  • Bank account statements
  • Utility bills (PG&E, Recology)
  • Cellphone or landline billing statement
  • W2 wage and tax statement (must submit the last two years' W2 statements).
  • Paycheck stubs
  • Official lease or rental agreement

Unmarried student who are under 24 years old must demonstrate how you are financially supported in the state of CA. Students who are dependents and being claimed for tax exemption outside of California are not eligible to establish California residency even with proof of intent and physical presence. Students who filed tax returns outside of California the last two tax year will be asked to provide proof of filing in-state to qualify for residency.

These documents include, but are not limited to:

  • Tax returns (Federal 1040 and CA 540/540NR)
  • Pay stubs
  • W2s, 1099-MISC
  • CA public assistance (EDD, Cal-Fresh, Cash Aid Program)
  • Financial Aid Awards letter
Non-resident Tuition Exemptions

In order to be eligible for a non-resident exemption tuition under AB540, you cannot carry a non-immigrant visa as defined by federal immigration law with exceptions to T and U visa holders. U.S citizens, U.S permanent residents, undocumented students, and out of status visa holders can qualify for AB540 provided that they meet the requirements.

Student must meet both of the listed requirements below to qualify for AB540 nonresident tuition exemption.

1. Attendance and Coursework Requirements. Three years of full-time attendance (or equivalent credits) at any (or a combination of any) of the following:

  • California High School
  • California Adult School 
    • Full-time attendance is a minimum of 420 hours of attendance per school year which may be completed on a part-time basis and includes non-credit courses at a California Community College
  • California Community College
    • 24 semester units of credit or 36 quarter units is equivalent to 1 year of high school attendance
    • Full-time attendance is defined as a minimum of 12 credit units per semester or 9 credit unit per quarter

2. Degree or Transfer Requirements. Any of the following requirements:

  • Graduated from a California high school with a diploma or the equivalent (i.e. CA-issued G.E.D, CHSPE, HiSET)
  • Attainment of an associate’s degree (AA or AS) from a California Community College
  • Fulfillment of minimum transfer requirements from a California community college to a University of California or California State University

The following are instances of non-resident tuition exceptions:

  • Active military personnel are exempt from non-resident tuition fees provided they are in California for a purpose other than attending a state-supported institution of higher learning.
  • Dependents of military personnel stationed on active duty in California are given a waiver of non-resident fees.
  • Recently separated military member (veterans) can qualify for AB13 Veterans non-resident tuition waiver. Please contact our Veterans Office for assistance.
  • Education Code section 68075.6 grants an immediate nonresident tuition fee exemption to eligible Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) holders and refugee students who settled in California upon entering the United States. This exemption is granted for one year from the date the student settled in California upon entering the United States. This exemption applies to the following:
    • Iraqi citizens or nationals (and their spouses and children) who were employed by or on behalf of the United States Government in Iraq (, Section 1244)
    • Afghan and Iraqi translators (and their spouses and children) who worked directly with the United States Armed Forces (Pub.L.No.109-163, Section 1059)
    • Afghanistan nationals who were employed by or on behalf of the U.S. government or in the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan (Pub.L.No.111-8, Section 602)
    • Refugee students admitted to the United States under Section 1157 of Title 8 of the United States Code
    • Ukrainian Humanitarian Parolees under section 207 of 8 U.S.C. 1157

How to Request for Reclassification

To petition for CA residency review, please contact our Residency Team via email and provide the necessary documents as indicated above.

All documents submitted for residency review must have the student's name or parents'/legal guardians' names, CA address (no P.O. Box), and must be dated on or before the determination date to qualify for that semester.

Term Determination date
Fall 2019 August 16th, 2018
Spring 2020 January 12th, 2019
Summer 2020 June 7th, 2019
Fall 2020 August 14th, 2019
Spring 2021 January 18th, 2020
Summer 2021 June 6th, 2020
Fall 2021 August 13th, 2020
Spring 2022 January 17th, 2021
Summer 2022 June 5th, 2021
Fall 2022 August 16th, 2021
Spring 2023 January 16th, 2022
Summer 2023 June 4th, 2022
Fall 2023 August 15th, 2022
Spring 2024 January 15th, 2023
Summer 2024 June 2nd, 2023
Fall 2024 August 16th, 2023

For more information of how to establish residency, please visit the Residency Department, located in Multi-Use Building (MUB) Room 188 at the Ocean Campus or call 415-239-3287, or email

Notes about establishing CA residency

  • Students who are in the process of requesting a change of residency status must meet the fee obligation and refund deadlines for each course in which they are enrolled. Students are responsible for dropping their classes before the refund deadlines or risking of owing the tuition fees.
  • An individual cannot establish residency if he/she entered the country unlawfully or under a visa which requires the individual to maintain residence outside the United States, or that he/she entered the United States solely for a temporary purpose. An individual is precluded from establishing domicile in the United States and shall not be classified as a resident of this state if he/she hold an ineligible immigration status (see ineligible immigration status).